Call For Free Consultation 786-530-4288 786-530-4288

Miami Admiralty and Maritime Injury Lawyer Represents Injured Seamen

Florida attorney helping Jones Act sailors, offshore workers and longshoremen after accidents

Because of the dangers they face, sailors are provided with some of the strongest legal protections of any workers in the country. The Jones Act entitles injured seamen to remedies that are not available to other workers. Workers on drilling rigs and oil platforms are often covered by the Death on the High Seas Act (DOHSA) and the general maritime law. Dockworkers can seek remedies under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA). At Orlando R Murillo P.A., serving Florida, I will help you understand your rights under the law and work to recover damages from your employer.

The rights of sailors under the Jones Act

Rather than being subject to the workers’ compensation laws of Florida, seamen are treated as wards of the state and entitled to the specific federal protections laid out in the Jones Act. In order to qualify as a Jones Act seaman, you must work on a vessel and be injured while acting in service to that vessel. Seamen are eligible to receive “maintenance and cure,” which consists of an allowance and medical treatment until you have reached maximum medical improvement (MMI). Seamen bringing an unseaworthiness claim often receive damages for pain and suffering, as well as past and future lost wages. I work to prove that you qualify as a Jones Act seaman, regardless of whether you are a United States citizen.

Helping other injured maritime workers

Because the Jones Act only applies to certain workers, your case may instead fall under the general maritime law which allows for negligence claims. I will help you understand which laws apply in your case. The LHWCA applies to maritime workers who were injured on land in Florida, as well as dockworkers and stevedores. It functions like a national workers’ compensation system. DOHSA allows the family of maritime workers to seek compensation for their deaths when they were killed due to negligence at sea. I work with clients to help them understand their rights under federal and state laws.

Trust my firm to help you after a maritime injury

Maritime cases are very different from standard injury cases. If you are a seaman or maritime worker and you have suffered an injury, it is important that you seek out a law firm with maritime injury experience. Orlando R Murillo P.A. has experience helping maritime workers get compensation for their injuries. Call 786-530-4288 or contact me online to arrange a consultation at my Miami office.